Thursday, June 7, 2007

Reflections...


On a cloudy day in Seattle, Zoka coffee aromas in the air, tones of chattering consumers and music in the background, I reflect on our journey that concluded Tuesday afternoon. What all unfolded would take much more energy and time than I am willing, but some highlights I would like to pen.

Everyone has a story. The children of Africa just happen to have stories that are often painful to hear. Someone has to pass them on. Before I left I read several books that described some of the statistics and experiences of Africans. Until you put a name and face, statistics don't often mean much. Now they do.

While in Mongu, Zambia we visited a family of 5 young children, with a mother who is dying of Aids, whose husband has already passed. I did not want to put the 5 month old boy down (pictured above). As we heard their story I wondered whether the children had relatives who could take them in or if the oldest siblings (not older than 12) would become the parents. Either way there is a realization that so many children in Africa are losing their childhood. I gave them a red frisbee.

Where there could be much sorrow, hope abounds! In that same area of Zambia (actually called Limulunga) there is a community school for children. Mbuyuiana, who is the sister of the Ambassador to the US, is helping to run a school for over 500 of these children who cannot afford uniforms or shoes in order to attend public school. From among the community, 16 young adults have taken on the responsibility of teaching these children without pay. This is not because they have money, it is because they love Jesus and want to serve. Many of them farm rice or sell goods in order to feed themselves! The spirit found in these individuals is incredible.

I plan to return to this school and community next year with my friend John Messner for 9-12 months. The community there is in so much need. All that Jesus asks of us is obedience, whether it be to fill all of the water pots or to bring some loaves and fishes. Please pray with me.

4 comments:

Harmonie said...

that baby is precious! glad you had such a great trip and excited that you will soon return!

jonathan schmidt said...

"All that Jesus asks of us is obedience", so true my friend! I'll see you in BC soon.

Don Valencia said...

Dan,
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, journey and a few pictures. It really helps to get a glimpse of what you have all experienced. I look forward to talking with you and seeing more pictures. What an gift it will be to the school for you to return and stay- not many Americans do. Blessings

don

Lindsayfosner@gmail.com said...

this is so cool Dan! I wish I could be there!! think you can bring me back one of those 5 month olds?? :)