Thursday, May 24, 2007

A little background for the adventure to Africa...


Tomorrow our group will be transported to the opposite side of the globe in order to learn more about our brothers and sisters in need. Our group consists of Wes Anderson, Jeff&Marilyn Vancil, Tom Johnston, Fred Stephens, and myself. What do we have in common? A love for Jesus, a commitment to one another, and a realization that we have a responsibility for those in need. I believe that in reality, we in the western world need those in developing countries just as much as they need us. We go with the hope that we will fall even more in love with Jesus.

Still resounding in my head are Bono's words to those in attendance of the 2006 National Prayer Breakfast, "what will this generation do for those suffering in Africa?" Again the following year, my heart melted for those in need of someone to stand for them when I previewed the movie "Amazing Grace". The thought that a man (and a community surrounding him), would give his whole life to abolish the slave trade. God, do you have such a call on my life? Call: where my greatest joy meets the world's greatest need- Buechner?.

This 10 day trip will be a whirlwind. First stop: Ethiopia, to see friends, Marta and Demi. This is a couple who have gone from escaping with their lives from the Communist regime in their country to now running what Tony Hall calls "the greatest work going on in the whole continent". Their story is layed out in a book called "Sheltered by the King". Marta was the first female senator of Ethiopia and has become one of the most beloved women of her country.

Second stop: Zambia, to witness a community in need in the town of Mongu. We have been blessed to meet and be in contact with the Ambassador to the U.S., Mrs. Lewanika, who has shared with us her heart for the orphans in Western Zambia. Her sister helps run a school that educates 500 orphans daily, with the help of volunteer teachers. We wish to partner with this community as a family from Seattle, and to pray, send friends, support, and love to these amazing children of God.

I hope and pray that I, along with everyone reading, will continue to learn more about the needs of people in our own communities and also across the globe. I want to encourage everyone to read, research, and converse about the plight that children are facing in Africa and to pray how we can be God's love to them. Thank you for all of your prayers and support. I hope to do at least one update while I am in Africa and then one upon my return. Thanks friends!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dan,
Great to read about your heart for Africa. I'm praying.
Greg Smith